The Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a highly infectious disease caused by a strain of the coronavirus that has been recently discovered. The pandemic caused by this virus has swept across the world affecting over 55.6 million people. Most of the people who are infected by the COVID-19 virus experience only mild to moderate symptoms but those with pre-existing conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, cardiac disease, chronic respiratory condition, cancer etc may be at risk of organ damage and severe respiratory distress. The convalescence period for those recovering from the COVID-19 is a long one and centres on boosting the patient’s immunity. Here are some ways to bolster your immune system in your post COVID-19 recovery phase –
- Focus On Your Diet – Your post COVID-19 recovery is the perfect time to concentrate on your diet and nutrition. The infection and medicines used to treat the symptoms put a tremendous stress on the health. This means that you must now concentrate on adding more nutritious foods and supplements like Zinc, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Omega-3 fatty acids. Add servings of fresh fruits and vegetables and cut down on sugars and packaged foods. The addition of seeds, nuts, and green vegetables could help boost the immune system and fend off any infections.
- Keep Your Comorbid Conditions Under Control – If you suffer from pre-existing conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, asthma or respiratory diseases, cancer, or cardiac diseases, it is important that these be monitored regularly and kept under control. Consult your doctor and come up with a treatment plan that will keep these immunity-altering diseases in control and help your major organs from being compromised. If you suffer from a cardiac condition, for example, it is best to schedule an appointment with the best heart hospital Hyderabad like CARE Hospital to ensure that your condition is not aggravated.
- Exercise Without Exhausting Yourself – When you are in better shape and are no longer breathless, it is wise to start on simple exercises. Yoga and breathing exercises can help strengthen your lungs and help boost your immunity as a whole. Once you feel strong enough it is good to go for short walks in the open. Do remember to keep wearing your mask and maintaining social distance when you are outside.
- Keep Stress Away – Studies show that stress and negative emotions have a debilitating effect on the immune system. People who get less than adequate sleep and are regularly exposed to high-stress situations suffer from immune deficiencies and are more susceptible to infections and diseases than those who are happy and well rested.
- Do Not Forget To Hydrate – One of the common mistakes most people make when it comes to taking care of their immune systems is that they forget to hydrate. Drinking adequate water and getting fluids is necessary to keep your immune system working at optimal level. Doctors at the best hospital in Hyderabad recommend at least 2.5 litres of water for an adult each day.